Saturday 13 September 2014

More about Baxter

Today I worked hard in the garden and Baxter uses the chance to be a nuisance, chase the mower, dive at the spade when I am digging, tries catching dung as I fling it off to the side. Of course at eleven years old he is not equipped for such fun, his hindquarters are failing.

Locking him up when I am busy is not really an option, I consider that to be unfair to the dog. What keeps him at bay is allowing him to have the ball I keep in the top drawer. He would rather guard the ball than bother me doing my garden tasks.

Today as I was mowing he stood in front of me and dropped the ball, allowing me to pick it up and throw it for him. I normally throw it directly to him, enabling him to catch it with ease, thus saving strain on his hips and legs. For some reason today I forgot to follow my own rule and threw the ball a little further than I should have. Baxter, in his anxiety to get at the ball, tried to run, but of course he could not. What came next surprised me. He hopped at speed just like a kangaroo, moving his back legs in tandem.

Dicky hips did not even hold him back, his hyperactivity still persistent. I need to watch myself in future. If I do not we are bound to have a severe problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment